- PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset
- PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset
- Astro A50 Wireless Headset
- Steel Series Arctis 7
- HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset
Top PS4 Headset Headset Picks
Today’s gaming headsets can do it all; chat with your friends, or pump surround sound directly into your unsuspecting ears. Who needs a fancy home theatre when a comfy pair of headphones will do the trick? All of that, and you can still chat with your friends, or at least mount a defensive stance against the people insulting you online. So, whether it's for pure audio or pure pwnage, here’s my top five list of the best headsets money can buy.
Amping up the stakes further, Sony is releasing the Platinum wireless headset this holiday season. This incredible piece of hardware sports many of the feature of the Gold headset, with a few exceptions.
Let's take a look at the full rundown of features:
- 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound
- 3D audio in select PS4 games that support it. VR games, for example.
- Compatible wirelessly with PS4 and PC. Wired options are available for phone, or PlayStation VR.
- Dual microphones
- 50mm Drivers for high audio range and deep bass
This new standard for first-party headsets released in December of 2016, but if anything you should ask for a gift card. This is the one to get.
2. PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset
This headset combines the perfect set of features with a modest and affordable price tag. While the Afterglow headset is the same price, this headset comes with the addition of 7.1 virtual surround sound. In addition, this particular headset combines comfort with quality and brings a new level of immersion to gaming on the PS4. In addition, it also supports the PS4 headset companion app and can interact with the various audio presents that are available for the hottest games on the PS4.
The headset also includes a charge cable, and an audio cable to allow for using it on the go with your mobile devices and your PS Vita. Using it as home is a snap, with an included USB adapter that delivers audio and chat without those messy cables. For this price, a wireless virtual surround sound headset is a steal, and the additional comfort, portability and features make it one of the best headsets you can get.
I personally own one of these and it is an incredible piece of hardware, especially for that price. It can be used on your other consoles and your PC, along with your Vita. It's very versatile, and when it doesn't have a charge, you can use the audio cable to keep on listening. It's a great price for a great product that works flawlessly.
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style.
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you.
The Alternative: Sony PlayStation Silver Wired Stereo Headset
These days, you can find the Gold headset for about $79.99 and I would still whole-heartedly recommend it. That being said, if you need something now, and you don't have a whole lot to spend, Sony offers a wired version of this headset for a cool $20. This version of the headset still brings the virtual surround sound, the audio modes, and even adds breatheable on-ear cushions.
This is a great alternative that offers many of the same options, for a fraction of the price.
3. Astro A50
I know, it’s expensive. Okay, it’s decadent in its pricing, but this thing is the king of all headsets, headphones, head-anything! This headset has it all, full Dolby Digital Surround Sound, strong wireless signal, great battery life, adjustable volume levels for every aspect of the audio, and pristine quality. Digital trends gave this headset a nine out of ten and had this to say:
“The Astro A50 made every game title we played more engrossing and entertaining with terrific virtual surround and extremely visceral, powerful sound.”
It features a 5.8GHZ wireless technology and a true virtual 7.1 surround sound. The device is built with a strong design and has a unidirectional microphone to eliminate background noise while you're talking. You can also mute the mic by flipping the receiver upward as well. It has three EQ modes and cross platform support too. It's the nicest in terms of features and performance, but it's really, really expensive.
- 5.8GHZ WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY Operating at a higher frequency than most wireless devices, ASTRO wireless mixAmps provides clarity and range with less interference. Available on A50 and A30 wireless headsets.
- DOLBY DIGITAL 7.1 Plug into an ASTRO MixAmp and immerse yourself in the audio of your favorite games. Use every gunshot and footstep to pinpoint exactly where the fight is and get the drop on your opponents before they hear you.
- MULTI-SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY ASTRO MixAmps ensure compatibility with any major platform you choose to game on. Whether you're gaming on an Xbox 360, a PS3, a PC, or a mobile platform ASTRO has you covered.
- SUPERIOR FIT & FINISH Wear your ASTROs flat around your neck pro-style or clamp them on your dome for days of play in ultimate comfort. Designed with superior materials & fit, over-ear cushions and in-line mic controls.
- TUNED WITH ASTRO AUDIO Working closely with pro gamers and top audio designers to deliver the highest level of clarity at every frequency, ASTRO AUDIO is designed to make your games, music, and movies sound the absolute best.
The Alternative: Astro A 40 Gaming Headset
For $300, the Astro A50's is one of the best headsets on the market, but that's expensive by anyone's standards. If you need to taper the price down a bit, check out the A40's. They offer the same over-the-ear design with customizable speaker tags and equal comfort. The 7.1 surround sound is present here as well, along with deep bass and a mid-range detail that cuts out distortion.
Again, this is a great option for those who are looking to spend around $100 and still get the quality you expect from Astro brand headsets.
This next headset is another excellent premium option for those who want a little bit of everything. Check out these features:
- 12m wireless range
- 24-hour battery life
- DTS Headphone: X 7.1
- 3.5mm jack
- Support for PC and PS4
- Background noise cancellation
- Athletics-inspired performance fabric, AirWeave ear cushions
The Arctis 7 is one of the best headsets out here if you're looking for an all-round package. It would score higher if it didn't have such a high price point and the need for a USB dongle, but it has some excellent audio quality and comfort.
The self-adjusting band makes it very comfortable and easy to wear for long periods of time. The retractable microphone works well as vocals come through crisp on the other end. If you're using it on PC, it will have virtual surround sound as well, not but on the PS4. The headsets higher up on this list do have that feature.
This headset has a strong average rating on Amazon, and brings 7.1 virtual surround sound to boot. The microphone also features noise and echo cancellation. Check out the features below:
For PlayStation VR gamers, it's a pain to try and fit your headset over your VR headset, so why not get something designed for VR? All of that 3D audio isn't going to be heard if you don't have a solution like this one.
These affordable Mantis headphones clip right onto the sides of the headset so you can have a comfortable audio solution while in VR. You can even flip them up and down from your ears as needed. They're an excellent solution for total VR immersion.
Share this and see what your friends are using:
What headsets or headphones do you use on the PS4? Do you own any of the devices on this list?
Tell us in the comments below. Help other gamers with your perspective.