- PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset
- PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset
- Astro A50 Wireless Headset
- HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset
- Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum
Top PS4 Headset Headset Picks
Today’s gaming headsets can do it all; chat with your friends, or pump surround sound directly into your unsuspecting ears. Who needs a fancy home theatre when a comfy pair of headphones will do the trick? All of that, and you can still chat with your friends, or at least mount a defensive stance against the people insulting you online. So, whether its for pure audio or pure pwnage, here’s my top five list of the best headsets money can buy.
Amping up the stakes further, Sony is releasing the Platinum wireless headset this holiday season. This incredible piece of hardware sports many of the feature of the Gold headset, with a few exceptions.
Let's take a look at the full rundown of features:
- 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound
- 3D audio in select PS4 games that support it. VR games, for example.
- Compatible wirelessly with PS4 and PC. Wired options are available for phone, or PlayStation VR.
- Dual microphones
- 50mm Drivers for high audio range and deep bass
This new standard for first-party headsets released in December of 2016, but if anything you should ask for a gift card. This is the one to get.
2. PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset
This headset combines the perfect set of features with a modest and affordable price tag. While the Afterglow headset is the same price, this headset comes with the addition of 7.1 virtual surround sound. In addition, this particular headset combines comfort with quality and brings a new level of immersion to gaming on the PS4. In addition, it also supports the PS4 headset companion app and can interact with the various audio presents that are available for the hottest games on the PS4.
The headset also includes a charge cable, and an audio cable to allow for using it on the go with your mobile devices and your PS Vita. Using it as home is a snap, with an included USB adapter that delivers audio and chat without those messy cables. For this price, a wireless virtual surround sound headset is a steal, and the additional comfort, portability and features make it one of the best headsets you can get.
I personally own one of these and it is an incredible piece of hardware, especially for that price. It can be used on your other consoles and your PC, along with your Vita. It's very versatile, and when it doesn't have a charge, you can use the audio cable to keep on listening. It's a great price for a great product that works flawlessly.
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style.
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you.
The Alternative: Sony PlayStation Silver Wired Stereo Headset
These days, you can find the Gold headset for about $79.99 and I would still whole-heartedly recommend it. That being said, if you need something now, and you don't have a whole lot to spend, Sony offers a wired version of this headset for a cool $20. This version of the headset still brings the virtual surround sound, the audio modes, and even adds breatheable on-ear cushions.
This is a great alternative that offers many of the same options, for a fraction of the price.
3. Astro A50
I know, it’s expensive. Okay, it’s decadent in its pricing, but this thing is the king of all headsets, headphones, head-anything! This headset has it all, full Dolby Digital Surround Sound, strong wireless signal, great battery life, adjustable volume levels for every aspect of the audio, and pristine quality. Digital trends gave this headset a nine out of ten and had this to say:
“The Astro A50 made every game title we played more engrossing and entertaining with terrific virtual surround and extremely visceral, powerful sound.”
It features a 5.8GHZ wireless technology and a true virtual 7.1 surround sound. The device is built with a strong design and has a unidirectional microphone to eliminate background noise while you're talking. You can also mute the mic by flipping the receiver upward as well. It has three EQ modes and cross platform support too. It's the nicest in terms of features and performance, but it's really, really expensive.
- 5.8GHZ WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY Operating at a higher frequency than most wireless devices, ASTRO wireless mixAmps provides clarity and range with less interference. Available on A50 and A30 wireless headsets.
- DOLBY DIGITAL 7.1 Plug into an ASTRO MixAmp and immerse yourself in the audio of your favorite games. Use every gunshot and footstep to pinpoint exactly where the fight is and get the drop on your opponents before they hear you.
- MULTI-SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY ASTRO MixAmps ensure compatibility with any major platform you choose to game on. Whether you're gaming on an Xbox 360, a PS3, a PC, or a mobile platform ASTRO has you covered.
- SUPERIOR FIT & FINISH Wear your ASTROs flat around your neck pro-style or clamp them on your dome for days of play in ultimate comfort. Designed with superior materials & fit, over-ear cushions and in-line mic controls.
- TUNED WITH ASTRO AUDIO Working closely with pro gamers and top audio designers to deliver the highest level of clarity at every frequency, ASTRO AUDIO is designed to make your games, music, and movies sound the absolute best.
The Alternative: Astro A 40 Gaming Headset
For $300, the Astro A50's is one of the best headsets on the market, but that's expensive by anyone's standards. If you need to taper the price down a bit, check out the A40's. They offer the same over-the-ear design with customizable speaker tags and equal comfort. The 7.1 surround sound is present here as well, along with deep base and a mid-range detail that cuts out distortion.
Again, this is a great option for those who are looking to spend around $100 and still get the quality you expect from Astro brand headsets.
This headset has a strong average rating on Amazon, and brings 7.1 virtual surround sound to boot. The microphone also features noise and echo cancellation. Check out the features below:
Logitech has long been known as quality manufacturers when it comes to their video game accessories. Their headsets are no different. This attractive option makes our list for being wireless, full 7.1 surround sound, adjustable lighting, and a noise-cancelling microphone.
The design is sleek, with sport mesh material used to keep things cool and comfortable, even during those marathon gaming sessions. You can even remove the ear cups and wash them as needed.
Share this and see what your friends are using:
What headsets or headphones do you use on the PS4? Do you own any of the devices on this list?
Tell us in the comments below. Help other gamers with your perspective.