The Top PS3 Games of 2012
2012 is soon coming to a close and we can now start asking the following question: what Playstation 3 games will we remember emerging from the year 2012? Well, everyone has their favorite title and many original series did manage to claim some the top review scores this year, but we’ll have to go with the big blockbusters for this 2012 podium and memorabilia. Let’s put all the intricacies associated with game reviews aside and let’s resume the year 2012 in only three BIG titles for the PS3. Let’s begin!
Call of Duty : Black Ops 2
Of course, Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 reached absolutely staggering numbers worldwide at launch, and the PS3 version was no exception. No matter how you perceive Call of Duty and its yearly $60 “update”, the series’ incredible sales will be remembered forever. Fortunately, Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 did hold a little more content than your usual yearly "CoD refurbishment". First, BO2 made a first decisive stride towards competitive gaming with several tools and adjustments to accommodate those who are willing to compete (such as the exciting CODcasting feature for color commentators), and secondly, Call of Duty Elite is now accessible for free to anyone who buys the game. For PC gamers, these features might not seem as impressive, but this is the most complete multiplayer shooter experience to ever land on the PS3 for sure. The level of multiplayer interactivity for a game like this on consoles is unprecedented. Can the Call of Duty series reach new heights once again next year and for the years to come? Or is it at a crossroads? Black Ops 2 certainly isn't indicating any downturn for the series!
Ahhh... its simple title says it all. Twisted Metal finally got back to its roots with this PS3 reboot. The game's strengths mainly reside in the fluid and very intense action provided by the game’s engine, as well as its destructible environments. We might not get a ton of vehicle combat games in the years to come, but Twisted Metal will stand strong and proudly represent the genre forever with this one released in 2012. Besides, it is totally understandable that fans of the series and genre fulminate at how little attention Twisted Metal gets compared to other more "recurrent" game titles like CoD, especially on the multiplayer side — TM delivers an intense multiplayer experience that shouldn't be overlooked by any fan of online gaming, even you've only touched Call of Duty or League of Legends in your entire life. One thing is sure though — let's hope that we won't have to wait as long for another Twisted Metal game as we had to wait for this one!
Street Fighter X Tekken
This legendary crossover title from Capcom will be hard to forget as well. The transfer of the 3D Tekken crew to the bi-dimensional world was done perfectly and the long-awaited clash was well worth the delay. The game was also very well constructed for hardcore fans to have the most competitive matches, both in duel and teams. Street Fighter X Tekken is definitely a title that will be remembered and that fans will come back to for many years to come. Its higher sales on the Playstation 3 also showed the fighting fans’ dedication to Sony’s platform, making the PS3 the very best place to enjoy Street Fighter X Tekken… beside arcades of course!
Now, let’s end this article with a few honorable mentions: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Mass Effect 3 and SSX. Those games left their mark as well on the year 2012 for the PS3, but fell a bit short of the big three for me. This article was by no means easy to do, but I think that if I get asked about the PS3 in a few years, I’m pretty sure I will easily recall BO2, SF x Tekken and the almighty Twisted Metal! What about you guys? What is your top 3 for the Playstation 3 this year?
Article by - Marc-André Messier
Insert Date: 11/21/2012
Talk about the future of PlayStation 4 games on our forums!
- Should You Keep Your PS3?
- 3 must-have PS4 games that would make a big splash at launch
- Final Fantasy VII: Will It Grace The Playstation 4?
- Could Battlefield 4 Beat Call Of Duty To The Punch on PS4?
- Could Dishonored 2 on the PlayStation 4 be twice the game Dishonored was?
- What to expect from Left 4 Dead on the PS4
- Resident Evil 4 On PlayStation 4 That Is!
- Can Uncharted Still Chart New Territory on the PlayStation 4?
- Sorry The Game Socom Can’t Understand Your Accent!
- Hot Shots Golf: Move Over Tiger Woods, There's a New Champion in Town
- The Blockbuster RPG Suikoden Series For Playstation 4
- The Future of the Elder Scrolls on PlayStation 4
- TOMB RAIDER ON PS4
- What Next For Uncharted?
- Metal Gear Series on the PS4
- The Final Fantasy Franchise on the PS4
- God of War on the PS4
- Watch Dogs Preview
- Grand Theft Auto 5 - It's Gonna Be Bad Ass
- Gran Turismo 5 Preview
- Let the Waiting for Gran Turismo 6 Begin
- Final Fantasy - Real Hero?
- Call of Duty Black Ops – What does it mean for the PS4?
- PS4 Home
- Release Date
- PS4 Price
- PS4 Pre Order
- Playstation 4 Pictures
- PS4 Games
- Rumored New Games
- PS4 Online
- PS4 Specs
- PS4 Controller
- Playstation 4 Videos
- PS4 vs. XBox One
- Backwards Compatibility
- PS4 Concepts
- PS4 News
- PS4 Launch Trailer
- PS4 Game Series
- PS4 Forums
- Playstation Articles
- PS3 Games
- PS4 Accessories
- PS4 Cheats
- PS4 Polls - Vote!
- Playstation 4 Price and Pre-Order Info (11 times)
- Would you pay $1000 for a new PS4? (7 times)
- PS4 vs Xbox One - Who Wins (6 times)
- PS4 Release Date - The Countdown Begins (4 times)
- PlayStation 4 Games - PS4 Games (3 times)
- Is this PlayStation 4 video real? (3 times)
- PS4 Pulse - Controller (3 times)
- Microsoft Announces The Xbox One (2 times)
- prepare to be surprised
1 hour 44 min ago
- great idea
1 hour 59 min ago
- Backwards compatibility different than ppl are used to
7 hours 32 min ago
- uh no
7 hours 54 min ago
- Cry about it.
8 hours 1 min ago
- Microsoft owns rare.. so you
8 hours 8 min ago
- Dont weird
9 hours 19 min ago
- its the darpan concept jackass
9 hours 26 min ago
- Looks like an old record
9 hours 59 min ago
- Backwards Compatability
10 hours 22 min ago